Ne MADRID NIGHTS: Lost for Words

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Lost for Words

Charlton 2 Manchester City 5

Pablo Picasso

"It's a bugger is sympathy", says Ted Simcock in David Nobbs's excellent novel, A Bit of a Do, which was turned into a TV series around 1989. The character, played by David Jason with a rather suspect Yorkshire accent - traces of Peckham kept creeping into it - was unable to cope with the kind words of his friends after he had gone bankrupt.

It was at the front of my mind, as I read the novel again a couple of weeks ago, and then went so far as to dig out an old video containing part of the series. And the words came winging back to me as, while waiting the customary two minutes for the coffee machine to deliver the goods at the Centre on Monday evening, I became aware that one of our managers was placing a kindly hand on my shoulder and commiserating with me on the above débâcle.

Words failed me then, and still do. Wyn Grant has more details if you can bear to read them. And South London's Finest has a few appropriate comments, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home