Ne MADRID NIGHTS: A Changing Viewpoint

Sunday, October 07, 2007

A Changing Viewpoint

Coventry City 1 Charlton 1

An awful lot has been going on in my life, and an awful lot has been going on for Charlton as well, this week. For me, as ever, October brings the return to full-term working, and during these first days of the month we have meetings, workshops, discussions, and eventually get started on the teaching, meeting our new students, who are going to bring us pleasure and joy (quite true, in many cases) during the coming academic year.

So, while in the normal way of things I try to post something between all of Charlton's outings, I have actually not had time to post anything for eight days, and in that time Charlton have played in three league matches, which have brought in five points, which is all right, I suppose.

And yet it could so easily have been nine. The last time I was writing, I was talking about how other bloggers (more assiduous ones than I) were viewing Charlton's impending trip to Coventry, with all the attendant drama of encountering Iain "Monica" Dowie once more. Frankie had Coventry down to win 3-1, and Wyn Grant thought 1-1. I rounded off my piece by saying that I would settle for that. And that is what we got. But I wasn't particularly happy at all, for Charlton had been 1-0 up with about 5 minutes to go, and suddenly 1-1 looked more like 2 points lost than 1 point gained. There was a good account of all this in The Times.

And so in the end I strolled out on Saturday evening to do the weekend shopping, reflecting that, having said at lunchtime that 1-1 would be fine, I now felt, having got the 1-1, rather let down. But there; I've been following football since the fifties, and you'd have thought that the game had nothing left up its sleeve to take me by surprise with.

I am going to close here as it is lunchtime, in fact well past it, even by Madrid standards. I am wary of making promises about when I hope to write again, or what about, but I can say that it is my intention, at any rate, to get back up to date as fast as I can, and I do plan to try and discuss the quiz, and the Hull game, and the Jerome Thomas affair, and maybe the Barnsley game as well. Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home