Ne MADRID NIGHTS: Dashing Danish Dennis Delivers Draw

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Dashing Danish Dennis Delivers Draw

Newcastle 1 Charlton 1

Dennis Rommedahl equalised for injury-hit Charlton in the 53rd minute after Kieron Dyer had put Newcastle in front in the 52nd. As the Charlton website puts it: "was it one point gained or two points lost?" I have to say that after Tuesday night and a fairly unfortunate week all round, I feel that it is one point gained, though it does mean, after Bolton's win at Crystal Palace this morning, that Charlton drop to 8th from the eminence of 7th where they have been all year so far.

I hadn't realised, either, that Burnley's home league game against Leeds was going to be played early on in the day, and so when I had a quick look at Livescore at half past three, Madrid time, to check out the day's fixtures, it was to find out that one of my teams had already lost 1-0. So I wasn't feeling terribly optimistic about any of my other teams.

I had (still have I suppose) a hangover, as my quiz team-mate John and I spent the best part of five hours in the bar last night after work, as we frequently do on Fridays. Thus, feeling pessimistic anyway, I decided to blow the cobwebs away a bit by going for a long walk through the city while it was still light, finishing off with the weekend shopping, and then I returned home shortly before eight o'clock to see the results. No, the more I think about it, the more I think it is a point gained, and it turns out that Charlton had four players injured when none were expected on Thursday, so I think it is positive enough. Needless to say our manager thinks we should have won, and theirs thinks they should have. Obviously I am going along with ours, especially as the other one is the ghastly Graeme Souness.

Talking of people called Graeme, it was my old friend Graeme, from Glastonbury, (where else?) who presented me with the earlier-mentioned book of spells - which I read quickly and then forgot all about, but it must be in one of the book cupboards somewhere. Maybe if I'd found it and made use of it before setting out for my walk, we'd have had two points more by now. I'd better see if I can dig it out before quiz night on Monday, anyway.

PS I know I have used a variation on this title before, but it is for a Danish friend of mine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home