Ne MADRID NIGHTS: Minds on Other Things?

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Minds on Other Things?

Charlton 0 Everton 0

Image hosting by Photobucket

It seems that Charlton are preparing themselves for the quarter final of the Cup replay at Middlesbrough on Wednesday; top scorer Darren bent was rested, and the others, even Jerome Thomas, (above right) weren't able to make much of a difference.

For my part, while the match was taking place, I was sharing some white wine with an unexpectedly-encountered lady friend of mine on the EasyJet flight to Liverpool, and I am writing this on the computer located in the back bedroom of my old friend and Everton fan, Harry, somewhere on the Wirral.

As is his wont, he collected me at the airport, and one of the first things he told me was that it had been a 0-0 draw, and I was glad, really, as in the first place Charlton didn't lose, and in the second, any other result would have gone some way to spoiling the weekend, perhaps. It now looks fairly certain that both clubs will stay around for another year of Premiership thrills and spills; and the other good thing about all these 0-0 draws is that this time last year they would have been x- 0 defeats, where x is a number greater than or equal to 1; so thank goodness for Thomas Myhre, whom Harry says Everton must have been barmy to let go.

I hope to take in some of the quarter final game on Wednesday, and will write about it afterwards, though maybe not till I get back to Madrid, scheduled for Friday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home