Ne MADRID NIGHTS: Off the Mark

Saturday, August 21, 2004

Off the Mark

Despite appearances, I haven't been fretting about last Saturday 's 1-4 result all week, well, not all the time, anyway, but the summer course is taking its toll. Although the number of hours taught is much the same as during the main academic year, the fact that it is morning, rather than afternoon and evening, continues to play havoc with my metabolism, or whatever. And everyone else feels much the same. The amount of self-discipline needed to be up, shaved, showered etc., and out of the house by eight, is more than I usually have to call on, but I am managing it, as well as forcing myself to go to bed and turn out the lights by 11.30, which for an inveterate reader like myself, is much more difficult. But all the plans for filling up the rest of my free time are in abeyance: it is all I can do to shop, cook, or more often make toast or sandwiches, do a bit of washing up and keep the clothes washing cycle going. So plans for articles about other things have remained at the planning stage.

However, this afternoon Charlton had their first home game of the season. Last year, the first-day 0-3 defeat by Manchester City was more than adequately compensated for by a 4-0 away win at Wolves the following week, so at times I have imagined something like a 7-2 scoreline for today's game against Portsmouth. This was not to be, but 2-1 will do, and I can maybe go for a drink later with the friend who missed out last Saturday.

Unlike last Saturday, I decided that sitting in front of Livescore watching the scores update themselves was a waste of time, as whichever way things were going, nothing would be sorted until the final whistle, so I went out into the hot Madrid afternoon and did my shopping, returning to check the scores at 6 o'clock, and all is well. I know nothing as yet about the game, as reports haven't started to appear, though Livescore informs me that Charlton's second goal was an own goal in the 88th minute, so it must have been close.

Anyway it is siesta time, or I won't get out for that drink tonight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home