Ne MADRID NIGHTS: Ah Well

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Ah Well

Charlton 1 Arsenal 3

Apparently Charlton and Arsenal looked exhausted after so many games, and there's still one more the day after tomorrow, while here in Spain there hasn't been a boot raised in anger for nearly a fortnight, and won't be for another week. I don't see why there has to be a complete break, though, but equally I don't see why there needs to be one more game on Monday. Yes I know it is a Bank Holiday occasioned by today being a Saturday (not here it isn't; today's a holiday and that's the end of it, Saturday or no Saturday) but that is no reason to cram another game in so soon after all these.

Anyway no excuses. Charlton didn't disgrace themselves: Ljungberg's second goal was offside; Charlton's goal was from a free kick given for something that wasn't a foul. So that's the way these things go; once Arsenal got on top, it gave them the extra edge of confidence. Read about it with the Inspector, who after all was there, and also at the BBC and F365 sites, if you can be bothered.

Charlton go to Blackburn on Monday. One day I'll tell the story of my primary school year 1957-8, which took place in a little country market (oh yes) town 5 miles outside Blackburn; with me surrounded by rabid Blackburn supporters. Please God let us win this one, for absolutely all sorts of reasons. I'll tell you about it one of these days, as I say.

Now I'm off to spend a quiet evening cooking some comfort food for my New Year hangover. In common with most of Madrid's citizens, I was out all night, actually at the pub, until 7.30 this morning in fact. Admittedly I didn't go out until after 2, so it isn't as bad as all that, but I still have a hangover, now compounded by disappointment that Charlton didn't manage at least a home point.

So comfort food it is; probably stewed steak or something made from mince. And mashed potatoes of course; the most comforting of all comfort foods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home