Ne MADRID NIGHTS: Sublime to Ridiculous

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sublime to Ridiculous

Charlton 1 West Bromwich Albion 4

Ah well; I'd spent Friday in a flu-induced haze, happily putting together my celebratory piece about the Tottenham game, and never even gave a thought to this one. I forgot to propitiate the Gods again. Before the last WBA match, I warned against being over confident when playing against the bottom club (as they were at the time), and Charlton managed a 1-0 win at The Hawthorns. I was so pleased with the performance on Wednesday that it just never occurred to me that anything like this would happen.

Curbs politely avoided blaming the referee, though Wyn Grant and the Inspector both do.

Mr Grant maintains that TEK should not have been sent off, and that the referee was playing for the Albion. The Inspector points out that Charlton invariably lose when Mr. Halsey from Bolton (is that significant?) officiates in our games.

One of the reports I read gives all credit to Bryan Robson for realising that with one defender missing, the introduction of a proven striker in the shape of Robert Earnshaw might not have been a bad idea.

However, Charlton are still 7th, a bit further behind Bolton and Liverpool, but Middlesbrough came a cropper at home to Southampton. And WBA still look as though they are going down, too.

Anyway, I am still in a flu/bronchitis-induced haze, though the antibiotics are beginning to kick in. Off to Britain tomorrow for five days, and most probably won't post until I get back, unless the iniquities of the railway system prove too much for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home