Ne MADRID NIGHTS: What can they have meant?

Sunday, August 22, 2004

What can they have meant?

Quiet day, but very relieved about the Charlton win, even if it was a mistake by Portsmouth's goalkeeper. Apparently Charlton were worth the win, even if it looked as though they weren't going to get it.

Anyway today the number of hits on the blog has passed 1500, so some people must be reading it, even though I have told very very few of my friends and rels about it. So as a thank you for reading, and as I am too tired to write my planned piece about Imperial Leather soap (contain your souls in patience), I reproduce a document which may make you smile. It is a list of sentences taken from compositions written by my students around eight or nine years ago. I guarantee the authenticity of them all. Explanatory notes might be forthcoming on request, but as a taster, the charming, well brought-up young lady who wrote number 3 meant to say 'sweating', but chose the wrong verb.

1. [In] a volcanic eruption, [...] the liquid that is there goes up, melting the rooks.
2. In my childhood I learnt the bookkeeping [...] thanks of it I enjoy reading books.
3. [...] hottest day I had ever seen [...] after a few minutes I was swearing a lot and wanting to have a bath as soon as possible.
4. I like a lot of the mountains.
5. We have the half of the audience (about 25%).
6. Meanwhile, Tim discovered that Mary had disappeared, and began to search her.
7. A man of the restaurant turned on a cigarette.
8. You can eat a beautiful fish with potatoes, jam, salad...
9. This Christmas I went to a camping in Birmingham [...]
10. In Spain, each dish is better than the other.
11. From 1779 to 1781 Mozart worked as Archbishop of Salzburg.
12. [Mozart's] father was the notorious composer and violinist, Leopold Mozart.
13. The Underground is a good place for people who attack and steal other people.
14. They needed money to pay the room; that is why they had stolen the restaurant.
15. My parents left me and some teachers put me in a desk.
16. He asked me if I had had an important illness, like mussels etc.
17. [At the supermarket] we took a chariot because we were going to buy a lot of things.
18. [Nowadays] we don't have time to spend with our ancestors.
19. [My parents] discovered the bottles of alcoholic drinks, the broken china flower-pot, the wretched sofas and all the mess.
20. I had promised [Trevor] a fruit-cake, and I was going to keep it.
21. There are many planned trips to old people.
22. The travel was fascinated, because I can sew to many interesting places, like the Eiffel Towel...
23. The house had two plants.
24. We have lunch at nine o'clock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home