Ne MADRID NIGHTS: Stranded on an Icelandic beach

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Stranded on an Icelandic beach

Liverpool 2 Charlton 0

As my Charlton blogger colleague the Inspector is actually in the north of England this evening, visiting friends in St. Helens after the débâcle at Anfield, he isn't posting to his blog, and I had to look further afield for an account of the game, and New York Addick had evidently seen it on satellite TV this morning - morning in New York I mean - and was unimpressed. I had kept my vow of not following the thing by constantly updating Livescore, and went out to do the weekend shopping while Charlton were coming unstuck yet again on a visit to the North West; I returned, made a cup of tea, waited until the game was sure to be over, and then went over to Livescore, as I had done last Sunday for the 1-1 draw against Newcastle at The Valley. My first reaction to the scoreline was that at least the number of goals conceded was down by half, but it was a short-lived consolation after I moved on from New York Addick to the page operated by Wyn Grant. Mr Grant had a most picturesque description of Charlton at the end, as the Liverpool fans started up on You'll Never Walk Alone: "Charlton looked more out of their depth than a whale stranded on an Icelandic beach", he wrote. An admirable phrase, and only a pity that it sounds all too unfortunately true.

All the same wandering round the shops was a lot more enjoyable, and useful, than agonising over a hot Livescore; the match was on at the pub, too, of course, but that would have been too much for me to take. There are quite a lot of Liverpool fans among my acquaintance and they would have been sure to make fatuous comments, despite my not having done this following Easter Monday this year (report on Charlton's 1-0 win at Anfield on the Inspector's site, as I had yet to start my blog at that time).

Life in General

A more settled school routine is starting to kick in as we near the end of October, making work less stressful; also the fairly constant stream of visitors from the U.K., mainly caused by half-term holidays in the British schools, though still strong, is showing signs of falling off. The weather is cooler, though still agreeable, and many people, including me, at the Centre have caught their first autumnal cold. Early night with hot lemon drinks for me tonight, then. More soon, including the latest doings of the quiz team, naturally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home